Thursday 25 February 2016

Junior School Update

Year Four 

We have had a fantastic start to 2016 in Year Four. We have proudly named ourselves, “Team 32,” which represents the wonderful students who are ready to learn and work collaboratively.

We are currently working on writing an adventure narrative. Students have shared the many adventures and journeys they have been on, some of which have been a source of inspiration for our narrative pieces. To begin our writing, we have been trying to hook the reader by creating an interesting and exciting first sentence.

Some examples include:
  • Bang! The hammer smashed into a million pieces. (Jesse Sokol)
  • Zoom, zoom! Sonic was trying out his new ice-skates. (Keely Pether)
  • A big, blue wave crashed on the shore at the seaside. (Denae Wallace)
As a class, we have also been busy exploring the properties of odd and even numbers. From water bomb games to creating Mythbuster movies, we have been extremely busy!

We look forward to keeping you updated throughout the term!

Miss George and Team 32

Kindergarten

We have had an amazing start to the year in Kindergarten! Over the last few weeks we have been busy making new friendships with the children in both classes, learning new routines and exploring all of our play spaces. Our rock and roll stage has been a huge hit, with daily concerts being provided by the budding musicians in our class. Our Big Ideas question this term is, “Who am I?” We have started our investigations by sharing our interests, learning about our families and exploring features of our body. Last week, we created a graph to investigate which eye colour is the most common in our class. Some of our amazing artwork has been placed around the classroom, so feel free to come in and check it out!
Mrs Tucker
Kindergarten H Teacher



Year 6
The amazing start to Year 6! 
I have loved being in Year 6 at Holy Cross, it is the best thing that ever happened to me. On the first day my heart was thumping, I was so excited and nervous at the same time. I have had so much fun so far in Miss Henderson's class room. I have made so many new friends like Leah, Ryleigh, Mia and Jorja.

Year 6 has been using the iPad for lots of different things. I have enjoyed using the iPads to do tests and make movies. I love using the iPad because last year I didn’t, so I am very, very happy that I have been given the chance to use my iPad for learning.

Year 6’s have being learning about a thing called Growth mindset. Growth mindset is about changing your words and doing challenging things, and when you do that your brain will get stronger, even if you do not get everything correct! We think of your brain as a muscle so if your train your brain, it will grow.


By Hannah McKeown

The Awesome start to Year 6!
Walking in on the first day, I was a nervous wreck.
I was shaking with fear, and I felt like I was going to cry.
But, that all changed when I met Miss Henderson.
Miss Henderson was kind, caring, and most important, organised and very welcoming.  

When we were all settled, we organised our stationery, and we did a class meet and greet bingo. With the bingo there were different things, like find someone who was born in April, and we had to find someone with that thing.

After the first week, the iPads were set up, so we were allowed to use them. We use an app called Google Classroom to see the learning tasks the teacher has put on there, and notes that the teacher has made.
We use the iPads a lot at HCC, and it is very fun to learn this way.

In Year 6 we are also learning about a thing called Growth Mindset. 
We are learning about how the brain works, and changing our words from I can't do this, to I can't do this yet. Thank you for reading the Year 6's blog, and we hope you enjoyed learning about our first few weeks at Holy Cross.

By Leah Maccione

No comments:

Post a Comment