Sunday 28 May 2017

Sorry Day and NRW 2017

The poster to the left asks us to reflect on some of the steps that have been taken to reconcile with Australia's First Peoples.

On Friday, Sorry Day, the College met together in Houses and  prayed for the Stolen Generations. We also made pledges that we would keep for the rest of Reconciliation Week. Part of our commitment in taking the next steps.

Committing to the Future:  Daily Steps Towards Reconciliation

Hands were produced by each Class and HTG from year 3 - 12 with a pledge written on the back of each hand. Some of these pledges were:

Today I will treat everyone equally and fairly
Today I will respect the rights of others no matter who they are
Today I will be sensitive and thoughtful to those around me
Today I will see people and not colours or race or clothes labels
Today I will accept that everybody is unique and special in some way
    Today I will talk to someone I don’t usually talk to

    Today I will speak out against racism, discrimination and injustice
    Today I won’t shut out someone because they don’t fit with my group
    Today I won’t laugh at racist jokes
    Today I won’t make fun of someone who cannot speak English
    Today I won’t be condescending and patronising towards others
    Today I won’t judge someone on how they look
    Today I won’t participate in racist behaviour or use derogatory names


These will be our pledges for the rest of this week and we are proud to display them to the Ellenbrook community as they visit and pass by our College.

Be peace builders 
Be the change in our world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment